Friday, June 02, 2006

CASA Recovery Day: Friday, June 2nd, 2006

Friday was a great special day for me in my recovery and my relations with others.

Every Friday at 3 PM at the Christian Science Reading Room I conduct a CASA Recovery Workshop for those who want direct one-on-one help or a small group setting for help on working their 12-Steps Program and related recovery issues no matter if anyone shows up or not I strive to be there. I need to do more street work to let people know about it and put up leaflets downtown.

I was given the opportunity to conduct CASA Recovery Workshops there at the Christian Science Reading Room thanks to the help of a fellow Christian Sister
and Christian Scientist practitioner named Kristen who staffs the Christian Science Reading Room. She has made me feel wanted there and the whole place has a great healthy spirit.

Usually at the CASA Workshop hardly anyone shows up, but at least my recovery buddy Jeff usually shows up. Sometimes just a couple of people show up, but as long as someone else there it is worthwhile being there.

I truly believe in the Scripture: Matthew 18:20 "For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them."

However, Friday, Brother Jeff has transferred to the VOA Aid-In-Kind Shelter on Bannon Street. Sister Kristen had given him a ride with his stuff from Sally's to there earlier that day. Sometimes when no else shows I just kick back and have great conversations with Sister Kristen about a variety of subjects.


Sister Kristen and Brother Jeff at the Christian Science Reading Room

After 5 PM or so it was time to leave the reading room. After we locked it up Sister Kristen gave me a ride to the Pathways Graduation on 'A' Street. I thought she was just going to drop me off, but she decided to attend!

We checked out the graduation and witnessed them giviing away the Pathways Certificates, then, we BOTH went to the A.A. Meeting at Sally's which I usually attend on Friday. Brother Joe ~aka Toro~ is the group secretary.

The topic at the A.A. Meeting called 'Keep Coming Back' was 'keeping it simple' and that kind of fit the theme of the day.

So it was great that Sister Kristen had the opportunity to check out a Pathways Graduate and the A.A. Meeting. In fact, at the A.A. Meeting she read HOW IT WORKS. She is really a beautiful sincere sister who I believe was led by the Lord to help us with CASA. Iron sharpens iron.

I still need to study a lot more about Christian Science, but I'm funny in a way. If you want to know about a person's religious denomination or their Christian walk see how they are in their natural settings and then away from their usual comfort zones.

I am sure that the people in recovery were glad that Sister Kristen was there and just her presence seems to have a kind of calming and cleaning influence on a room. More will be revealed!

Proverbs 27:17 "Iron sharpeneth iron; so a man sharpeneth the countenance of his friend."

Isaiah 38:16 ~ “O Lord, by these things men live, and in all these things is the life of my spirit: so wilt thou recover me, and make me to live.”

Praise the Lord of the People! Come Quickly Lord!
Brother Peta Lopez
++++++++++++++++++++++
Key CASA Links:
CASA 12-Steps Program Blog

CASA HOME PAGE

The Progressive Recovery Blog!

Recovery Emporium

Just Do It One Day At A Time!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please give feedback with respect!